Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Sanity: Accepting limitations, making adjustments and moving on.
I’m 55 today. Holy Cow – how did that happen? So far, I can honestly say it has been a great ride. Stops and starts; bumps and potholes; long stretches of mundane and bursts of grandeur.
Contemplating my 55ish self, it occurred to me that I really need to start acting my age. Quit treating myself like I’m 25 and give myself the attention and care that a 55 year old needs. I can’t expect to be my best 55 self by doing things the way I did when I was 25. That would be insane. Nope. It’s high time to accept my limitations, make some necessary adjustments, and accommodate to my wonderful 55 self.
Here are 5 Ways I’m Going To Stay Sane As I Age:
- Drink Water. When I was 25, I never drank enough water (heck, I haven’t drank enough water my whole life) and I never had any adverse effects. Not so at 55. I’ve been feeling run down. My muscles have been aching. I’ve been overly constipated. My skin is dry and saggy. My mind seems befuddled. I can’t seem to find my mo-jo. I Googled these symptoms and turns out I am severely dehydrated. Drinking water diminishes and might even eliminate these 55 year old symptoms. Time to act sane and get those 8 glasses of water a day.
- Take vitamins. I didn’t need any extra vitamins at 25. My body was performing just fine. Not so at 55. Aging is encroaching. My bones aren’t as strong. My eyesight isn’t as clear. My energy isn’t as energetic. Time to act sane and take vitamins. I found these vitamin packs that contain all I need in one fell swoop. They are portable, convenient, and easy to remember.
- Wear a belt. My body sure was firm and shapely at 25. I didn’t have to make any adjustments to my clothes. Now, even though I work out daily and eat nutritiously, my body parts are shifting, expanding, and diminishing in areas I don’t appreciate. I notice this especially when I wear pants. The waist is always gaping and so my pants tend to slip and shift in weird ways. Time to act sane and wear a belt. I started wearing a skinny belt and putting the buckle to the side so it wouldn’t add bulk to my middle. Wow- what an improvement. My pants actually look like they are meant to fit.
- Act NOW. Gone are the days when my body would fix itself on its own in a couple of days. Aches and pains just don’t go away all that quickly any more – if at all. Time to act sane and get help sooner than later. This week, I messed up my back by turning wrong in my exercise class. My 25 year old self would have just moved on and let the backache work itself out on its own in a few days. Not my 55 year old self. I made an appointment that same afternoon at the chiropractor and was already feeling markedly better by the evening. Why did I wait so long before?
- Just Breathe. Rush, rush, rush was my 25 year old life. Pack it all in. Run from thing to thing. Stay up late. Get up early and repeat. My 55 year old self can’t – and doesn’t need to keep up that same crazy pace. Time to get sane and slow down and not feel guilty about doing it. I have discovered the wonderful benefits of spending just 5 minutes a day practicing breathing in and out s-l-o-w-l-y. My mind clears out, my heart beats slower and I am rejuvenated for whatever comes next.
The best birthday present I am giving myself this year? To stop the insanity and just be sane.
What insane thing do you need to give up as you age?